I’m unsure about filing a civil lawsuit against a school for sex abuse. What should I do?


[suffusion-widgets id=’2′]

A: The first and most important thing you can do is understand that the decision is 100% yours. No matter who you speak to, whether a lawyer, police officer, counselor, therapist or friend, whether to file a lawsuit is a deeply personal, private decision. There are many things to consider, such as privacy, length of the civil process, eventual outcome, etc. However, the bottom line is that every victim of sex abuse, whether in a school, by a priest or close family friend, deserves justice.

Getting justice in a civil case can happen in many different ways. Each case is unique and depends on the circumstances. For some victims, listening to a school administrator explain how they failed to protect the student and failed to stop the abuse may be the justice they need. For others, hearing a judge or jury find the abuser and the school guilty of the abuse may be enough. Again, each case and each victim’s needs vary.

It is important to speak to a knowledgeable school sex abuse lawyer about your case. The statute of limitations may be an issue, so you should seek a consultation immediately.

Related Legal Articles:

For more information, feel free to contact our Pennsylvania and New Jersey school sex abuse civil justice lawyers. Click To Call. Our lawyers offer free, confidential consultations and can obtain special admission in other states, such as New York or Delaware, on a case by case basis.

Our attorneys serve school sexual abuse victims in the following areas: Atlantic County, NJ; Burlington County, NJ; Camden County, NJ; Cumberland County, NJ; Gloucester County, NJ; Salem County, NJ; Allegheny County, PA; Berks County, PA; Bucks County, PA; Chester County, PA; Delaware County, PA; Lehigh County, PA; Montgomery County, PA; Northampton County, PA: Philadelphia County, PA; New Castle County, DE; Kent County, DE; Atlantic City, NJ; Philadelphia, PA; Pittsburgh, PA; Newark, NJ; Doylestown, PA; Media, PA; West Chester, PA; Norristown, PA; Camden, NJ; Wilmington, DE; Newark, DE; Georgetown, DE; and New Castle, DE. Our lawyers can also obtain special admission in other states such as New York or Delaware on a case by case basis.

**This website does not provide legal advice. Every case is unique and it is crucial to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case. See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.

Published: July 16, 2012