What is the difference between bodily injury coverage and UIM coverage in PA?


[suffusion-widgets id=’3′]

A: The main differences between bodily injury coverage and UIM coverage are 1. who is making the claim and 2. the nature of the claim. Bodily injury coverage protects an insured driver from another person’s negligence claim. So in other words, bodily injury coverage applies when you cause a car accident and get sued for negligence by another driver, passenger, etc. The other driver is making a claim against you. Every car insurance policy written in Pennsylvania must have a minimum of $15,000 of bodily injury protection or coverage. Many individuals and companies buy more coverage, from $50,000 to $1,000,000 and anything in between.

Suggested article: Bodily Injury Car Accident Insurance Coverage in Pennsylvania

UIM or UM claims protect an insured driver from another driver’s negligence. These kinds of coverages may apply when you get into an accident that was caused by another driver. You are the person making the claim, and you make the claim against your own policy. That’s the nature of UIM/UM insurance. You are buying extra coverage for when another driver is either underinsured (UIM) or has no insurance at all and is therefore uninsured (UM). The limits of UIM and UM coverage vary, depending on the policy.  Learn more about why underinsured and uninsured coverage are so important for Pennsylvania residents.

Related content:

Pennsylvania Car & Truck Accident Lawyer Click To Call

Our injury and accident lawyers work hard to get you fair compensation for injuries suffered in a car or truck accident. For more information, contact our Pennsylvania car and truck accident lawyers. Call for your free consultation. Click To Call

**This website does not provide legal advice. Every case is unique and it is crucial to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case. See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.