Damages Recoverable in a PA NJ Longshore Accident Lawsuit


[suffusion-widgets id=’3′]

Longshore accidents often lead to critical and catastrophic injuries for dock, pier and marine terminal workers. While forklift accidents and crush injuries are very common, slip and falls and trip and falls are also common. Workers’ compensation benefits are of course available. However, these benefits only pay a percentage of the worker’s wage loss, which is hardly enough for a catastrophically injured worker to provide for his or her family.

What  many workers do not realize is that in many longshore accident cases, a non-employer may be liable for the accident and injuries. The nature of pier and terminal work requires multiple contractors to be present at one time. Accidents usually occur because someone failed to do their job correctly. The laws of Pennsylvania and New Jersey allow for claims to be made against negligent parties. Filing a longshore accident lawsuit against non-employer parties can result in financial recovery which helps the seriously injured worker and their family get their life back on track and provide for the future.

The following kinds of damage claims may be made in a longshore accident case:

  • past and future lost wages,
  • past and future medical bills, and
  • past and future pain and suffering.

Recovering Lost Wages in a Longshore Accident Case in PA or NJ

In a significant number of longshore accidents, workers are unable to go back to work due to the nature and extent of the injuries. If they are able to go back to work, it’s on a restricted basis, such as part-time or with physical restrictions. This leaves a very serious gap in an injured worker’s wages. Workers’ compensation, while providing a portion of the lost wages, is designed to get the injured back to work as soon as possible. So benefits may be terminated or decreased. Prevailing in a longshore accident case means obtaining recovery for all of the lost wages, both past and future.

Recovering Medical Bills in a Longshore Accident Case in PA or NJ

Workers’ compensation benefits include medical bills and treatment. However, after comp benefits are terminated, whether by agreement or not, many workers still need medical treatment or there may be significant future treatment needs such as therapy, medication, and even surgery. Under the laws of Pennsylvania and New Jersey, in third party longshore accident cases, the injured worker has a right to obtain financial recovery for all past and future medical bills and treatment needs.

Pain and Suffering Damages in a Longshore Accident Case in PA or NJ

Many longshore accidents result in catastrophic injuries, especially in crush situations, where a worker gets caught between containers, vehicles or other heavy equipment. Crush injuries often lead to loss of a limb or loss of the use of the limb, due to paralysis. Surgeries, extensive rehabilitation and severe scarring or disfigurement are common. In lawsuits against non-employer parties, the worker can receive financial compensation for pain and suffering, whereas workers’ compensation does not provide any benefits for pain and suffering.

Related Legal Articles:

To submit your case for review by our Pennsylvania and New Jersey longshore and marine terminal accident lawyers, call Click To Call.  Our lawyers are available for a free, no obligation legal consultation, and can obtain special admission in other states, such as New York or Delaware, on a case by case basis.

Our longshore accident attorneys serve accident victims in the following areas: Allegheny County, PA; Berks County, PA; Bucks County, PA; Chester County, PA; Delaware County, PA; Lehigh County, PA; Montgomery County, PA; Northampton County, PA: Philadelphia County, PA; Atlantic County, NJ; Burlington County, NJ; Camden County, NJ; Cumberland County, NJ; Gloucester County, NJ; Salem County, NJ; New Castle County, DE; Kent County, DE; Atlantic City, NJ; Philadelphia, PA; Pittsburgh, PA; Newark, NJ; Doylestown, PA; Media, PA; West Chester, PA; Norristown, PA; Camden, NJ; Wilmington, DE; Newark, DE; Georgetown, DE; and New Castle, DE. Our lawyers can obtain special admission in other states on a case by case basis.

**This website does not provide legal advice.  Every case is unique and it is crucial to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case.  See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.

Published: July 17, 2012