Can a bar or restaurant be liable for serving too much alcohol?


[suffusion-widgets id=’2′]

A: In Pennsylvania and New Jersey, any business which sells or serves alcohol may be liable for negligently selling or serving alcohol to a customer. For bars or restaurants, negligence usually means serving alcohol to someone who is visibly intoxicated or serving a minor. Both situations will almost always result in civil liability to the person who is injured by the drunk patron’s actions. Click here to access a free legal article about investigating bar and restaurant liability in alcohol related accident cases in Pennsylvania.

The most common scenario involves a drunk driver who injures another driver on the road. If the drunk driver was served alcohol while visibly intoxicated, the bar or restaurant may be liable to the injured driver. In addition to bars and restaurants, other facilities and businesses may be liable, such as:

  • sporting events,
  • banquet/event halls, or
  • music venues.

Related Pennsylvania & New Jersey Alcohol Accident Articles:

Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar & Restaurant Liability Lawyers

Our lawyers have successfully sued establishments for negligently serving alcohol. For more information, contact our Pennsylvania and New Jersey bar/restaurant alcohol liability lawyers. Click To Call

Our attorneys serve accident victims in the following areas: Allegheny County, PA; Berks County, PA; Bucks County, PA; Chester County, PA; Delaware County, PA; Lehigh County, PA; Montgomery County, PA; Northampton County, PA: Philadelphia County, PA; Atlantic County, NJ; Burlington County, NJ; Camden County, NJ; Cumberland County, NJ; Gloucester County, NJ; Salem County, NJ; New Castle County, DE; Kent County, DE; Atlantic City, NJ; Philadelphia, PA; Pittsburgh, PA; Newark, NJ; Doylestown, PA; Media, PA; West Chester, PA; Norristown, PA; Camden, NJ; Wilmington, DE; Newark, DE; Georgetown, DE; and New Castle, DE. Our lawyers can obtain special admission in other states on a case by case basis.

**This website does not provide legal advice. Every case is unique and it is crucial to get a qualified, expert legal opinion prior to making any decisions about your case. See the full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.